Monday 8 April 2013

Sunflower and Parmesan Biscuits

I wanted something else savoury to go with the sandwiches and quiches but really struggled to know what to choose. In the end, with mum's help, we decided on these Sunflower and Parmesan biscuits from "A Step by Step guide to Cakes, Biscuits and Slices", which I can't find on any book website so can't be very available anymore!!

As this book isn't available I'll give a little more detail than usual on how to make these, in case anyone is particularly interested.

The first step is to beat the butter (150g unsalted butter) until it is creamy, to this add parmesan (3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese) and chedder cheese (1/3 cup grated chedder cheese), beating until combined.

I then poured in the flour (1 1/4 cups plain flour) and sunflower seeds (1/4 cup sunflower seeds). The recipe states that you should add some seasoning at this stage, 2-3 tsp lemon pepper seasoning, however, I couldn't find this in the shop so I just ground a little plain black pepper into the mixture.

This mixture is then combined well by hand and turned out onto a lightly floured surface and kneaded to 2-3 minutes. Mum then rolled out the dough and cut into round circles, you can use whatever shape you fancy. Placed them on greaseproof paper on a baking sheet and sprinkled with a little more parmesan cheese. This was then placed in the oven for around 10-15minutes at 180oC until they were golden.

Verdict: This is the one recipe, out of all that I made, that I'm unable to give a verdict on. I don't really like cheesy biscuits and so I didn't try these as the smell was enough to put me off. Many people in the room really liked them and they were happily taken home in doggy bags so I would have to assume these were nice. Maybe those that tried them can leave a mark out of 10 in the comments to give people an idea?

Interestingly I also don't have a single picture from the process of making them or the end product, I obviously wasn't interested!! So I'm sorry but the closest I can get is showing you the 3 tiered stand they were displayed in and say they were on the top!!
On the left at the top of the 3 tiered stand

1 comment:

  1. I really liked these. They had a good cheesy flavour and the seeds provided crunch. I liked their small size because I could eat lots of them! I would give 8/10.

    ReplyDelete