Monday 2 September 2013

Beetroot Brownies

Over the weekend I harvested some beetroot from my allotment. I was pleased to have some crops but didn't have a clue what to do with it, so I typed it into my trusty BBC Food website and came up with these brownies, the recipe can be found here

Ingredients:
400g raw beetroot topped and tailed and peeled. 
100g butter
200g plain chocolate
1tsp vanilla extract
250g caster sugar
3 eggs
100g plain flour
25g cocoa powder

I've never made anything with beetroot before but I have heard of the combination of beetroot and chocolate so thought it was worth a go. The first obsticle I hit with this though was cooking the beetroot. The recipe said to place it in the microwave for 17minutes, so I did and I ended up burning them and filling the room with smoke. I had a few more, but have to sacrifice the other recipe I was going to make in order to make this. Second time around I decided to cook them in some water on the hob. This worked much better and I got some tender beetroot. 

The beetroot was then mixed in a food processor with chocolate and butter. The heat from the beetroot melts the chocolate and butter and it ends up a smooth paste like mixture. 

The eggs and sugar are whisked until light and pale. Into this the chocolate mixture, flour, vanilla extract and cocoa are folded and this is poured into a tin.
Ready to go in the oven
It was baked in the oven for 25 minutes. This resulted in my brownies being firm, not gooey, so if you like a gooey texture I'd recommend doing it for a slightly shorter time. They were left to cool in the tin and then I sliced it up into 20 squares. 
Sliced into squares

The Verdict: I really like this combination of flavours, the beetroot brings a subtle sweetness to the brownies and really enhances the chocolate flavour. The resulting brownies are lovely and rich but also I didn't find them so rich that I couldn't manage it, in fact it made me want a second one. The recipe was OK aside from the overcooking of the brownies and beetroot. It's something I'd like to make again, maybe with a few changes but I'm not sure what yet. I would happily eat more. Having nevertried beetroot with chocolate it's certainly something I'd try again. One other slight issue I had with it was when I sliced it up the top was a crust and this just fell off. This may be linked to the slightly more cooked nature of my brownies so I'll reserve judgement on that until I've tried again with a shorter cooking time. 9/10, just the slight issues with the recipe. 
Ready to eat!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment