Saturday 21 December 2013

Mini Chocolate Fondants

Today we went shopping for the last of our Christmas presents, including each others. We weren't really going to give presents... until we went in a fantastic shop in Brighton. It has discounted bits for the house, including the kitchen and the stuff is great prices. There was so much that I could have got in that shop but Gary kept me to a few items, one of these was a mini muffin tin. Earlier in the week I had seen the Hairy Bikers Christmas party and there was a recipe that I wanted to try using this tin, Mini Chocolate Fondants.

It's quite a straightforward recipe which involves mixing together the egg, flour and sugar. Melting the chocolate and butter and then combining the 2. I was surprised that it only used egg whites but I guess this makes for a lighter mixture.

The recipe made 72 mini fondants in my case but according to the website it describes 60, so bonus 12 I got there!! When I got them out the tin I thought they were such cute little sponges. I wanted them to have a soft gooey inside but I think leaving them to cool meant that this firmed up. It was softer just not as gooey as perhaps I would like. Maybe if I cooked them for a bit less time this happen, we'll see next time I try them.

Not got a gooey centre but a little softer
They came out the tin beautifully, which made my life very easy, and I had 2 racks of cooling fondants to tempt Gary with!!
Lots of cooling fondants
The topping is a marscapone, cream and sugar mixture which is divided in half and one half vanilla, one chocolate. I used two piping bags and combined these through a star nozzle to create the half and half look. The first tip I used was too small and struggled to get the mixture through, the second tip I used worked much better. It was much larger and the mixture came through easily.
Finished mini fondants
These little bites are delicious, they are a great little bite and a good size for a party. The topping balances the intensity of the bottom and lightens it nicely providing a little chocolate hit in the chocolatey top. I'm looking forward to making another batch of these soon and experimenting with the timing of the cooking. I hope they are enjoyed by others as much as we enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment