Sunday 9 November 2014

Mum's Sewing Basket

For my mum's birthday cake this year I decided to make a sewing basket cake. I got this idea from a magazine I was given but I made a few little changes to make it mine. I made a rich chocolate cake, filled it with vanilla buttericing and covered it in chocolate sugarpaste. 

When I did the royal icing course mum commented that she liked the piped basket weave effect so I decided to do this around the cake. 
Lines marked around the cake
I marked lines around the cake and then piped the effect between these lines. I also covered and piped on a 8" board, this is to create the lid on the basket. 
Basket weave effect
To decorate the cake I made some rectangular pieces of icing, I used mats to get some fabric effects on these. They were then drapped over the cake and stuck down. I made buttons using flower paste and a mould. These were scattered over the basket and around the edges. 

Lots of Buttons
Buttons
I also made some knitting needles out of modelling paste and stuck these on the board. 

Finished cake
Zoomed in finished cake
Overall I hope my mum liked the cake. I was quite pleased with the it and thought it was effective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment