Thursday 30 May 2013

"Best Ever Chocolate Raspberry Brownies"

I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back into baking, the ingredients were tempting me in the cupboard, so I decided that Gary can always buy more chocolate and I should do a trial run!! So the recipe I decided to do was Chocolate Raspberry Brownies from the May 2012 BBC Good Food Magazine which can also be found online here

I'm not usually overly successful with brownies, I either over cook them and end up with solid masses or I under cook and they are just raw. I was determined that this time it would all work out and followed the recipe very carefully. 

First step was to melt the chocolate, butter (as usual I used cheapy soft spread) and sugar together in a saucepan. This step was rather interesting for me as I didn't realise how much mixture there was going to be and so it was bulging out of the pan, however, once it had melted it was much better. This mixture produced a lovely rich mixture, yummy!! 
Melted chocolate, butter and sugar ready to add the eggs to. 
I then transferred this mixture to my mixer and added 1 egg at a time. The first egg may have missed the bowl slightly so my recipe had slightly less than the required 4 eggs. 

I then added in the flour and cocoa and finally added in half the raspberries. I used frozen raspberries for this recipe as they are much cheaper and they worked perfectly well. 

I lined a tin with greaseproof paper,
Lined tin
 poured in the mixture and then sprinkled the remaining raspberries on the top of the mix and placed in the oven for 45mins (longer than the recipe stated but it still felt too runny so I thought this was necessary). 
Brownie mixture in the oven
The mixture feels so soft when you get it out the oven I was worried it wasn't done enough but I decided to trust it left it to cool. 
Mixture is cooked and cooling
As the mixture cooled it solidified up and I was pleased that when I cut into it there was a lovely gooey mixture inside, just cooked perfectly. 
My yummy piece of brownie (well my second piece maybe!!)
The verdict: I really enjoyed these brownies, I thought they were lovely and rich but that the raspberries brought an extra dimension to a mixture that would otherwise have been far too rich. This is a recipe that I would certainly like to make again as they are delicious. I now have the rest of the tin to eat :) and then I will make a batch for Gary to take to work for Monday. I give them 9/10. Gary gives the brownies 8/10, they were yummy but they could have been more yummy. Ever the insightful response from my husband!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment