Wednesday 5 June 2013

Flour Tortillas

As part of Gary's healthy diet he has been making wraps to take to work and have for lunch. He started off by buying the flour tortillas but we thought why can't we make these ourselves? they would be much cheaper than buying and surely we have all the ingredients already? Well it turns out we do and that they are relatively simple. We found the recipe on the delicious magazine website found here

The recipe tells you to add plain flour (we actually use bread flour since we have a 25kg bag!), baking powder and salt to a bowl. To this add some lard (we use margarine) and rub together with your fingers. Then add warm water to the mixture bringing it together into a sticky dough. Knead it until smooth and then leave to rest for 30 minutes. 

Once ready divide the mixture up, I made 16 wraps. Each ball is then rolled out to a round wrap, the recipe states 18cm disc but we just roll it as large and thin as we can. 

Dough cut up into balls ready to roll
Meanwhile heat a frying pan until it's really hot.
Frying pan heating up
Add a wrap to the pan and leave it to cook for a few seconds, flip it over and cook the other side. Remove and place between kitchen roll and cook the rest of the balls. 
Wrap in the pan
I won't be eating these so I can't give a verdict on them, however, Gary has made these in the past and has said that they taste fine. He is happy enough with the result to continue using the recipe and to keep making the wraps rather than buying them. This is the first time I've made them and I found it very easy. I think the results looked very effective and I wait to hear what Gary has to say about them, but I should think I'll be making them again.

Gary has said that they are fine and he had just the right amount of filling for the number of wraps. However, next time he'd like me to make them larger, therefore I'm going to adjust the quantity next time and make 12 rather than 16. This will give me more dough to make them bigger. We also need to invest in a new frying pan!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment