Sunday 16 June 2013

Food Plan for the week starting 9/6/13

As I said last week my mum suggested I write a post each week about what we've had during the week with comments on changes etc. This week we've had:

Sunday - A lovely roast dinner courtsey of Gary's parents. Yummy!

Monday - I tried out a new recipe from the BBC Good Food Magazine, Crispy Topped Cumberland Pie, which can be found here. I made a few changes to try and make the recipe go further. Mainly this involved adding more vegetables.I added more carrot and celery than the recipe recommended and once the filling was cooked and tender I boiled some mixed frozen veg and added this to the mixture. I also didn't weigh the potatoes and used enough to cover the largest dish we own. I served this with some broccoli. From this recipe we managed to get around 8 portions. This was a very nice dish, however, it used a lot of beef (£8 worth) which to us is an expensive meal despite the 8 portions. I would consider making it again as Gary enjoyed it, I did too, but I'll have to think of more ways of padding it out and making the meat go further.

Tuesday - Left over dinner from Monday with sweetcorn.

Wednesday - Left over dinner from Monday.

Thursday - Stuffed butternut squash. This is an old recipe we previously found on the weightwatchers website. It involves halving the squashes and cleaning them out. Remove some of the squash and chop it very finely for use later. Roast the squashes until they're soft. Meanwhile fry up some onion and beef mince. Add some chopped tomato, tomato puree, some butternut squash and herbs. This is all cooked together for 20mins. The mixture is then placed inside the soft butternut squash and cook in the oven for a further 20mins. This is a very filling dish and really tasty. In future I would pad out the mixture further with some extra vegetables and lentils. This would make the inside mixture go much further and create more than one dish. This recipe only created 3 portions this time. 

Friday - We were naughty and had Indian takeaway. 

Saturday - Left over takeaway from Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment