Wednesday 31 July 2013

Almond, Blackberry and Raspberry Tart

I decided to make this tart from Annie Bell's Baking Bible but make some adjustments and therefore make it more my own. The original can be found here.

Ingredients for pastry:
60g Unsalted Butter
60g Caster Sugar
1/2 egg
125g Plain Flour
15g Ground Almonds

I made double the quantity so that I could use a whole egg rather than work out what half an egg was!!

Mix together the butter and sugar until creamed. Add the egg and mix until combined. Finally add the plain flour and almonds mixing until it forms a dough and place in the fridge for several hours.

Once cooled roll out and place in the flan dish. As can be seen on the original post, I found that the pastry fell apart and kept sticking so I did this in sections and then pushed together with my fingers.
Pastry Case
Cover in greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake in the oven 170oC for 20minutes until just starting to colour. Once cooked leave to cool on a rack.

Ingredients for the filling:
100g Unsalted Butter
100g Caster Sugar
100g Ground Almonds
1tbsp Plain Flour
2 Eggs
1tsp Almond Essence
Some blackberries and raspberries, as many as you want to cover the top.
Flaked Almonds to scatter over the top, again as many as you want.

Mix together the butter, sugar, ground almonds and flour. Add the eggs and almond essence and mix to form a smooth mixture. Pour this into the cooled flan case. Place the fruit on top and scatter with almonds.
Ready to go in the oven
Bake in the oven, 170oC, for around 45minutes until it is browned and feels spongey to touch.


Leave to cool on a rack and then slice and enjoy!!
Add caption


The verdict: I thought this tasted really good, the essence added a nice almond flavour to the tart as did the flaked almonds on top. The fruit was a nice addition, however, I would consider using jam next time to spread the flavour throughout. I'm aware that this tart is very similar to a bakewell tart and would be a recipe I'd consider converting to one. I thought the filling still had a slight egg taste to it but after a few mouthfuls this was replaced with almond and it wasn't unpleasent. I'd give the tart 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment