Tuesday 30 July 2013

Almond, Apple and Blackberry tart

I've skipped a few chapters in Annie Bell's Baking Bible and ended up choosing something from the tarts and pies chapter. The first recipe in this chapter is Apple and Almond Tart, I decided to alter it slightly and added some blackberries. 

First step is to make the pastry, Annie recommends doing this in a food processor so I used my mixer. Simply cream together butter and sugar. Mix in the egg and finally the flour and ground almonds. Mix till it forms a dough and then wrap and place in the fridge for several hours. 
Wrapped pastry ready for the fridge.
Once the dough is fully chilled roll it out and place in a flan dish. I found the dough didn't hold together at all and kept sticking to the side no matter how much flour I put down so I did this in stages. Rolled a section and placed in the dish. Then added more and more pushing it together with my fingers to form one piece.

Cover in greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Place in the oven for 20minutes. I did this stage for too long so my pastry has come out a little too crispy. 

For the filling mix together butter, sugar, ground almonds and plain flour. Add the eggs and mix together throughly. Place this in the cooled pastry case and top with sliced apple and blackberries. 

Place in the oven for 45 minutes, this is longer than the recipe stated but I found mine needed the extra time. The tart should be browned and spring back when touched. Leave to cool, slice and then enjoy!! 
Finished tart
The verdict: The pastry was really lovely, it melted in my mouth and tasted great, and I don't even like pastry!! The filling had quite a strong eggy flavour, I couldn't really taste the almonds and would have liked this to taste stronger. The fruit was really nicely cooked and softened. I enjoyed this enough to want more than my tiny piece (on a diet) and to consider making it again. Next time I'd consider putting in some almond essence to strengthen the flavour. 8/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment