Wednesday 10 July 2013

Bakewell Tart

After taking the mincemeat and almond tart to work, Gary came home with many comments that people were requesting a bakewell tart. One of his collegues is having a BBQ on Wednesday so I decided that our contribution would be a bakewell to keep everyone happy. I did my usual, when looking for a specific recipe, and search on the BBC food website. The bakewell tart I selected is by the hairy bikers and can be found here

The tart was very easy to make. The first step was to make the pastry and I just did this in my mixer. It involved mixing together butter, flour, salt, sugar and almonds until they are a breadcrumb mixture. Then add the egg and egg yolks until it forms a dough. This is then chilled for at least 30 minutes. 

Once ready the pastry is the rolled out to cover the dish, pricked and then baked blind in the oven for 15 minutes. 

For the filling mix together the ground almonds and caster sugar and then add the eggs, almond essence and mix it all well. Part of the reason I chose this recipe was the almond essence, I know what a difference that makes to the flavour. 

When the pastry is cool, spread the base with jam (I used strawberry but the recipe states raspberry) and pour the mixture on top. 
Jam filled tart
This is then cooked in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Mine was in there significantly longer than that but this is because I forgot about it whilst doing other things. I'll have to learn to set the timer!! As it turned out it just made the edges a little "crispy" as Gary called it!! 
Slightly "crisp" topped tart

The full view
The verdict: as yet I haven't tried this but will report back the verdict once we've been to the BBQ!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment