Tuesday 9 July 2013

Classic Financiers

This week I decided to make 2 recipes from Annie Bell's Baking Bible, the first was flapjack and the second is these classic financiers. These come from "the french quarter" chapter. Since I'd never even heard of these before, let alone made them, I decided to just stick with the recipe this time and see what happened. From the picture these looked like little sponge cakes. 

The first step was to mix together the icing sugar and ground almonds. To these I added egg whites and whisked. I then put in the honey, melted butter and vanilla and whisked until it was all combined. This was covered and then placed in the fridge for several hours. 

Once ready fill some cupcake cases, place some chocolate chips on top and cook in the oven for around 20 minutes. 
Ready to go in the oven.
Once they are starting to brown then take them out and leave them to cool on a rack. Once cooled remove from the cases and eat! 
Cake you guess which were which batch? 
At the baking stage I got a little distracted and forgot about my first batch :-\.. so they're a little darker than they should be. But fortunately my second batch were watched more carefully so I do have some decent ones too! 
How they should look, again please comment on my photography skills! 
The verdict: I'm going to base this on the decent ones rather than the.. erm.. crunchy ones!! Which actually didn't taste too bad to be fair. Anyway, I thought they tasted quite nice but they were nothing special. Even though there was an interesting mix of ingredients I didn't think they were really worth the extra effort. They were also tiny and despite the recipe saying I should get 24 I only got 18, so mine were bigger than they should be!! I give these 6/10, not something I would consider making again I don't think. 

Next section in the book is Muffins, Cupcakes and Fairy Cakes...mmm.. I've just seen the title of what I'll be making next week but not telling!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment