Monday 1 July 2013

Chocolate Eclairs

I wanted to learn how to make choux pastry, which can be found here.  With this I decided to make chocolate eclairs. I found this recipe in the Mary Berry complete cookbook. 

Once the pastry was ready it was piped into long tubes. I don't have a large plain piping nozzle so mine have a little extra shaping! I also could do with a larger nozzle as these seem quite small. 

These were then cooked in the oven, starting at a higher temperature and then being reduced for the final few minutes. These were then left to cool on a rack. 

I then whipped up some double cream until it was thick. Sliced the eclairs in to and filled with the cream. 
Sliced and filled with cream
Warmed up some double cream until just under boiling point, I then added plain chocolate to this and stirred until melted. I left this to cool until it was thicker and then spooned on top of the eclairs. 
Eclairs smothered in chocolate

The eclairs were then left in the fridge overnight to set. 
My fridge is full!!

The verdict: I found this recipe fairly easy to follow but then there isn't much involved in the processes listed above. It was a very simple thing to make. I don't really like pastry or cream so I didn't really enjoy these. Apparently they are popular at Gary's work and people think they taste good. I wouldn't make these again but there is nothing wrong with the combinations itself. 
Outside view
A view inside, filled with cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment