Wednesday 17 July 2013

Old-Fashioned Meringues

The first recipe from Annie Bell's Baking Bible meringue chapter is of course meringues!! I not really had success with meringues in the past, they tend to be too chewy, or under cooked, or over cooked. I decided to just go with the basics and see how I get on. It's a very standard recipe. 

3 egg whites
175g Caster sugar

Whisk up the egg whites until they are really stiff, the book says shaving foam consistency which I thought was a good description. 

Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time and whisk well. The mixture should be thick and glossy. This is where I've made mistakes in the past, not whisking the eggs enough. 
Ready to go in the oven
Spoon the mixture onto lined baking trays and bake in the oven, 140oC, for 2 hours. They should be crunchy on the outside and sound hollow when the bottom is tapped. 
Cooked meringue
The verdict: These meringues were very plain, however, they were very tasty. I don't usually like meringue, so I wouldn't eat many, but they just melted in the mouth with a very slight chewy centre. They would have been very nice with some fruit or cream. The book mentions how to make other flavours, this is something I'd be willing to try in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment