Monday 22 July 2013

The Final Eeyore Cake

I wanted to write a quick post on the eeyore cake that I made for M&M's party yesterday, it's basically the same as the previous one I made with just a few additions.

Firstly I made 2 chocolate sponges like this one  and I added chocolate chips, 50g milk, 50g white and 50g of honeycomb pieces to each. 

These were placed in the fridge overnight and then carved, as described on the previous cake, and covered with icing. I also covered the cake board with icing so there was a nice finish surrounding the cake. 

Next day I started the details on the cake. First thing was to colour the icing for the nose and ears. I stuck the nose on and rolled out the icing for the ears. I first cut the purple icing, freehand, to create the shape. Using the first ear as the template I cut another purple piece and then 2 pink pieces. Placing one pink on top of a purple I trimmed around the pink to make it slightly smaller. I discovered it's better to do this than cut it before the pieces are together because as you pick them up the icing tends to stretch a little. 

Using purple icing I shaped the legs, these are pure blocks of icing, and tail. I cut a piece of pink into a long strip and folded it over to make the bow. Finally I stuck some white onto the face for the eyes. 
Without the details
The next step was to create all the details. I dyed some icing black and made little balls for the eyes. I then rolled small sausages for the hair on the head and tail. I also used thinner sausages for the eyebrows and nose details. 

I then coloured some icing blue, red, green and yellow for the ribbon detailing and the hat. To make the hat I shaped some blue icing into a cone shape for the hat. I then rolled out each of the colours into long strips. By holding one end and carefully twisting the icing you get the ribbon effect. I also cut thin strips for the hat. 

Finished cake
I was very happy with the final cake and got lots of comments on how nice the cake was. 

As I reminder, I am avaliable to take orders in the local area. At present (July 2013) I'm just charging for the ingredients, this cake was around £25. If you have an idea of what you'd like in a cake or even if you don't, please get in touch. 
M&M is ready for her party.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment