Monday 16 December 2013

Vinyl Record Player

I was asked to make a Vinyl Record Player cake for someone's 50th Birthday this week. He wanted a light fruit sponge so I used the recipe found here. I doubled this recipe to create a 9" square cake. 

Once the cake was baked I covered it in ivory icing and set about decorating and creating the player. To do this I used to more ivory and cut a circle (for the record) and then cut a thin black circle and placed this on top. Cutting a smaller red circle I created the centre of the vinyl and then used a small piece of silver and made the centre pin. 

For the arm I used black icing and made a sausage around a wooden skewer, it needed something to hold it's shape otherwise it would have collapsed. I thin used cocktail sticks both ends to attach it to the cake and hold it in place, these were also wrapped in black icing. 

Finally I used icing to create a few key features on the cake like the buttons on the front. 
All the details.
The final step was to pipe on the record, I did this using white royal icing. 
Finished cake

Finished cake
Overall I was pleased with the cake, it looked effective and it was clear what it was meant to be. However, I thought it was a little simple but I didn't know what else to add to it. I was working from images on the internet and most players do seem to be very simple. I didn't want to create the bell or anything like that but I thought it should have something on it. 

If you'd like to have a cake for any occasion please get in touch. We can discuss flavours and styles and I can work towards you're budget. At present I'm creating cakes for the cost of ingredients (December 2013) but I'm anticipating this changing in the next 6 months or so, so please order now if you need a cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment