Saturday 6 December 2014

Nan's Autumn Colours Cake

I was asked to make a cake which had autumn colours on it with roses and freesias. I decided to make a white cake with some piped details, which my mum tells me makes the cake more elegant, with strong bold colours in the flowers. I spent several days making orange, red and yellow Gerberas, Roses and freesias. I also made several autumn leaves to go in the bunch. 
Roses
Gerberas
Collection of flowers and autumn leaves
The cakes themselves were carrot cake, on the top an 8", and a light fruit cake 10" on the bottom. The fruit cake was covered in marzipan and then white sugar paste, I made this a few days in advance as fruit cake last so beautifully. Carrot cake is much more tricky, it needs to be made very fresh and is also very fragile so much more difficult to decorate. I double coated it in icing in order to give it a better finish. 
Covered cakes
I then dowelled the bottom tier for support and piped detailing on both layers.

Piped details on the cake
The final step was to put it all together. I used the roses to make a large bunch on the top of the cake, this was trimmed with autumn leaves and had freesias for height effect. 
Roses, leaves and freesias on the top
I stuck the Gerberas on the side of the cake for colour throughout the sides. 

Overall I was very pleased with this cake and thought the colours were beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment