Monday 2 February 2015

Gold Lace Cake

I decided to make a floating cake as one of my dummy cakes for the coming wedding fair season and decorate it with lace trim. I like the effect the floating has on the cake, making it slightly separated and giving a little more height and wow factor. 

I used 4 square dummy cakes and covered them in various colours of sugarpaste. Using square drums I separated out the tiers of the cake but I did this in pairs so some were close and some were separated. I trimmed those layers closest to the boards with a edible lace trim and over hung the edge slightly. 

I wanted this to have a slightly gold metallic effect so I used ribbon to add the slight colour to the cake. 

I decorated the cake with individual lace pieces, these were each made in a mould, cut out and stuck on to the cake. 
Cake covered in lace

Using pearl balls I added a little effect to the cake and finally I topped the cake with a peony. I managed to break this so it has now been replaced with a large blossom flower. 

I was really pleased with the effect of this cake and I hope it's bang on trend for the coming season. It'll be coming with me to my up coming wedding fairs. 
Finished cake with a peony flower on top

No comments:

Post a Comment