Tuesday 6 January 2015

Birdcage Cake

For one of my display cake this year I decided to make a birdcage cake. This isn't something I'd tried before but something I really wanted to give it a go. 

The birdcage is created by using 2 6" cakes stacked on top of each other with a domed cake on the top. I made these out of rich fruit cake so they would last. I covered the cakes in marzipan and then covered in blue sugarpaste. I placed this on top of 2 larger round dummies. 

For the cage effect I rolled out some modelling icing and stuck these down the sides. I also created a centre for the top of the cage. 

I made some large sugar roses and placed these into the side of the cake, in flower picks, along with some hydrageas and blossoms. I also made some sugar butterflies and stuck these on. 
Top of the cage
The final step was to place the ribbon around the cake and also placed bows on them. 
Roses
I was really pleased with this cake, I'd like to have covered the birdcage better but I will next time. I would also dowel the cakes next time to ensure there's no sinking or collapsing. 
Finished cake


I'm looking forward to showing this cake to the brides-to-be and seeing what they think. It's a cake with a bit of a difference and can be made to any colour scheme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment