Monday 28 January 2013

Ginger Snaps P477

Whilst having a baking day, I attempted to make these ginger snaps from Mary Berry's complete cooking book. My husband is very good at making ginger biscuits so I was curious to see how this recipe compares to his famous ones. 

The recipe requires melting butter and golden syrup together and then add this to the dry ingredients. The final mix should be a dough that is "soft but not sticky", unfortunately mine couldn't even be described as a dough but a lovely smooth batter, like a cake mixture.
Cake like batter
I added several more spoonfuls of flour to try and make it more dough like. I didn't succeed in achieving a dough firm enough to handle but it was more a dough. I used a spoon to place spoonfuls on the tray, with plenty of space between them to spread out. 

These were baked in the oven for 15 minutes, the recipe didn't tell me what these should look like when you get them out of the oven so I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. I got them out and hoped they'd be ok. When they first came out these were very soft but cooling down they gradually harden up to create a lovely crunch on the biscuits. 
Ginger snaps ready to eat
The verdict, once cooled these had a lovely crunch. I added slightly more ginger than the recipe stated but I liked the extra kick this gave the biscuits. My mum tried these biscuits for me and she says that she can't think of any way of improving them and they were very good. The marks.. I gave the biscuits 8/10, I think having to alter the recipe as much as I did to make it a dough this means I have to knock some marks off, however the final product were very nice. My mum mark is 10/10.. this is the first recipe that has achieved full marks out of anyone!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment