Saturday 23 March 2013

A Taster of the Week to Come

I haven't been able to do much baking recently because the Hyperemesis is still going strong, if anything it's worsened towards the end. However, in the week to come I will be doing a fair bit of baking in preparation for a family gathering under the guise of being a baby shower. I decided to just invite family but it gives all the ladies a chance to get to know each other better and share some chatter and laughter. 

Now I don't want to give too many things away at this stage, a bit of surprise is fun!! but I can give a smaller taster of what is to come. I will be spreading the posts out over a few days/weeks in order to not use all my material at once so you'll have to be patient with news on these ones. 

The plan is to create a traditional afternoon tea like one you'd get at a nice hotel or restaurant. My wonderful mother helped me achieve this look by purchasing some cakes stands for me. Most of these were purchased from BHS in the new year sale with a few additions from Hobbycraft, I believe.

So here is a selection of some of the stands that I got. I've kept this one boxed up for now but his is a lovely 2 tiered cake stand with gingerbread characters on it. 

2 Tiered Cake Stand
This is a larger single cake stand to display the whole cake on

Cream Cake Stand
 Finally this is a 3 tiered basket stand with some butterflies on the outside, this was a hobbycraft purchase. 
Butterfly Stand
We (me and my team of helpers) have organised our online shop to come on Tuesday, it's going to be quite a large shop full of goodies. As with all afternoon teas we are going to create some sandwiches, scones and cakes. No I'm not telling you any more than that but I can safely say that they'll be plenty of food and busy hive of activity here on Friday. 

Thanks to my Mother in Law we now have a table clothe for the table, completing the nice smart look we're going for. 

The rest of the baby shower won't be quite so classy as we have games planned like guess the flavour of baby food, guess my waist measurement and pin the dummy on the baby!! I hope that the reusable nappies will have arrived by then so we can all have a good study of them as well. 

So the countdown begins, this time next week hopefully people will start arriving ready to join in the fun and participate. Hopefully I'll survive the weekend and have some fun. I'll keep you posted... got a flat to clean now ready for my guests!! 

2 comments:

  1. The butterfly basket stand actually came from TK Maxx! lots of work to do this week (plus 4 kittens to have neutered!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterfly stand is beautiful! I love cake stands they just make a table. The gingerbread one is so cute.

    ReplyDelete