Monday 8 July 2013

Flapjacks

One of the changes I'm going to try and make to my blog is to publish the recipes I use. In order to do this and not to be copying others I will have adjust them slightly to make them my own. This will probably involve a fair bit of trial and error but I'll always be sure to give an honest verdict at the end of the page. I will still be doing some original recipes but as before will acknowledge and give brief details rather than the full recipe.

So today's recipe is adapted from Annie Bell's Baking Bible, but I've made some changes to it to make it my own. I decided that flapjack alone is quite plain so I added sultanas and chocolate. 

Ingredients:
240g Butter
180g Demerara Sugar
225g Golden Syrup
350g Rolled Oats
Handful of Sultanas
100g Milk Chocolate

Method: 
Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together until the butter is fully melted and the mixture is fully combined. 
Butter melting in a pan with sugar and syrup. 
Add the oats and sultanas and mix until fully combined. Place in a 23cm brownie tin and smooth with a metal spoon. 

This is cooked in the oven for 20 minutes until it's starting to lightly brown. Cool on a rack. 
Cooling flapjack
Meanwhile melt the chocolate either in the microwave or gently in a bowl over boiling water. Pour this over the cooled flapjack. 

Cut into approximately 20 squares and serve. 
Ready flapjack. 
I've been thinking about my photography skills so I hope that the above picture makes them look appetising. 

The verdict: These are really really nice. Especially the edge pieces which are slightly more crunchy. The chocolate I used wasn't very good quality so next time I'd use proper chocolate, however, the flapjack mix its self was delicious. I did use proper butter, shocking I know, so that probably helped. I can't think of any way to improve these, other than the chocolate. I really enjoyed the addition of sultanas and chocolate and thought it added something to the recipe. I'd like to make these again some time when I'm not thinking about my diet and can eat the whole tray. 8/10 from me this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment