Sunday, 10 August 2014

Nanna's Cake

For Nanna's cake this year I decided to try out a new rich chocolate cake recipe that I had obtained from Confection Perfection. I had sampled the cake in the shop last time I was there and decided that it was really rich and its flavour was similar to the recipe I already use but the texture is much lighter and it rises better. 

The cake was then covered in a chocolate ganache, this was made with cream and chocolate, left to cool and then whipped up. Finally I covered the cake in sugar paste. 

Sliced cake so you can see the chocolate cake inside
It took me a while to decide how to decorate the cake but in the end a photo inspired me. It was a photo of chocolate cake with raspberries. So I decided to trim the cake with sugar flower leaves and berries. I used a spare red rose and cream roses to make a bunch and then trimmed this with bramble leaves and some more berries. 

I made some letters using tappit cutters and stuck these on. It was the first time I'd really tried to make the letters using the tappit. It was harder than I expected but I think I've started to get the hang of it. It's important to let the icing dry out and use lots of cornflower in order to stop the icing sticking. 
Overall cake

Close up of the rose bunch
Overall I was fairly happy with the cake. I need to make sure the ganache is a smoother finish to give a better basis for the icing. I also need to be careful that the chocolate doesn't come through the icing or get on my fingers as it doesn't come off. I was pleased with the decoration on the cake and my cakes are certainly getting better and better.