Monday 29 December 2014

Looking back at 2014

I've decided to do a little look back at the last year as we're approaching the new one. I'm not sure I can remember back to January 2014 but with the help of photos I intend on having a go!! 
So I think what I'd like to do is go through each month, show the cakes I've created and also put in any news from this month (what I can remembered!!). 

January 2014

January was the first time I really attempted to make any sugar flowers. I spent days practicing the navy roses and still wasn't happy with them. Gary's birthday saw 2 cakes this year as I made one for work and one for home. 


February 2014

In February my parents moved house down to Ashford. This move meant that we were also looking for a new house and I was beginning to think about becoming a business. I made my first tiered cake using a design from a magazine and it remained standing!! 


March 2014

March brought the usual birthday flurry and I made a cake for my sister, brother and myself. I attempted my first wonky cake and my last, haven't yet tried that again but I wasn't too happy with it. March also saw us find our 3rd house (2 had fallen through by this point) which was to eventually become our home. 


April 2014

April saw my just make one cake as we were nearing moving most of my tools were in boxes. 
May 2014

In May we moved house, this meant more space but also it meant that I could finally start seriously thinking about becoming a business. Mini M turned 1 and we were able to have all the family and friends over to celebrate. 

At the end of April/beginning of May I also started my first PME Diploma in Sugar flowers. This was to be the start of my masters, my love of sugar flowers but also the start of cake club and courses at CP. This has become a very useful and almost vital part of my cake decorating. 


June 2014

June I spent most of my time making sugar flowers. I came home each week from my diploma and I practiced and practiced.  Finally I felt that my flowers were looking realistic and reaching a standard I could be proud of. 
July 2014

In July we had our garage converted so I'd have more space to make my cakes. This is officially our dining room but most of the time it's rather over taken with all my cake bits. I completed my sugar flowers diploma and also started an intensive Sugar paste diploma. I spent a lot of time in Maidstone doing lots of courses and barely seeing my husband!! 


August 2014

August was a very busy month. My sister got married so I made a little cake and some cupcakes for her. I was also asked to make a few birthday cakes and finally I finished up the month making some display cakes for wedding fairs that I'd decided to sign up for. 


September 2014

So September was the big month when I officially became a business. I registered to open at the beginning of September because I had another very important first, my first wedding cake!! I attended several wedding fairs in order to get my name out very early on in my business and to attempt to get some orders up for the future. I learnt a lot in this first month of business and I hope to continue to build on this. 


October 2014

 I completed my PME Masters in October my doing the final diploma, Royal icing and piping. I made a couple more display cakes and was honoured to be offered a space in W E Clarke amongst their wedding jewellery. As this years wedding fairs concluded I started to plan and design the cakes for the next year. 

November 2014

As Christmas started to get closer I started to prepare cakes, lovely rich fruit cakes that needed time to mature. I also had a few birthdays including my mum's and nephews. 


December 2014

I attended some Christmas fairs in December partly to advertise but also to try and sell a few bits and pieces. I also joined the Stone Cross market which I'll be attending every other week for the same purpose. I enjoyed making a few different bits at Christmas and next year intend to build on this and get hampers, cakes and puddings out to those that request them. 

Looking at all these photos makes me realise just how busy this year has been on the cake front. I've been in business just 4 months now and I feel like it's starting to spread around. I'd ideally like to get more wedding cakes booked in but I think it'll take time for my name to get around. Please keep spreading it if you have enjoyed my custom and help me to continue in my business venture. I'd love to have a thriving business. I hope you've enjoyed this little trip over the last year and seen how far I've come. I'm looking forward to what next year brings!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment