Monday 2 February 2015

16 number cake with red Roses

I was asked to make a 16 number cake decorated with red Roses and red edges. 

First job was to make the numbers, I didn't use templates or special tins for these I just made them out of standard circles and square. For the number 1 I used a 6" square, cut it into 3 placing one along the bottom, one for the stem and then the last is cut off to form the tip. For the 6 I used 2 6" round tins. The first formed the circle on the 6 and then last was cut in half to form the stalk. 

I covered these cakes in 2 parts. The edges they wanted red so I coloured a strip of icing and stuck this around the sides. I then cut a white piece to put on the top of the cake. 

I made lots of Roses from buds to full flowers along with leaves. These were then bunched together and placed in flower picks for the cake. 
Sugar Roses with leaves
I made some butterflies and allowed these to dry in shape before placing them on the cake. 
Top of cake
Finally I made some blossoms for the edges of the cake to add a little texture and I piped the message on the top of the cake.  

Front view
Overall this isn't my favourite cake. I had issues making the cake as numbers are tough to cover. I don't particularly like the colours but it isn't my cake. I hope the birthday girl enjoyed the cake, I know the cake inside was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment