Monday 2 February 2015

Number 1 Blue Cake

I was asked to make a number 1 cake covered in powder blue icing for a little boy's first birthday. This cake was riddled with difficulties, the first was the cake itself. The young birthday boy was unable to eat eggs or milk so I had to find a recipe that was suitable for him to eat. I found one online that used oil and golden syrup to make it suitable. The cake seemed to be runnier than normal mixture but it came out looking like it was a nice texture. 

I cut the cake into 3 (it was a square cake) and shaped it into a 1 shape. I then covered it in butter icing and coated it in blue sugar paste. This was challenge 2 on the cake. the shape has lots of sharp edges and the icing is so easily torn as you try and shape it. 

I covered the shape in white stars to give it some contrast and also made some icing blocks with the birthday boy's name on them. Finally I made a little teddy to go on the cake. 

Ready for piping
My final task was putting it on a board and piping the message. I was a little stupid and put the cake on the left and piped on the right. Being left handed this made my life much more difficult with the piping, in future I'll remember this and put the cake on the other side!! 

I was pleased with how this little cake came out and I hope it was perfect for the birthday boy making his first very special. 

Finished cake

No comments:

Post a Comment